Friday, November 12, 2010

Patty and her earworms had a busy week

You ever have one of those weeks? I just had one of those weeks, which is why I neglected my blogging duties on Tuesday. (Sorry about that.)

It was also one of those weeks for my earwormsthey apparently believed that they could relieve some of my stress with Bobby Goldsboro's "Me and the Elephants."

When that didn't work, they opted to devolve further and dredge up a little more Bobby Goldsboro ("Watching Scotty Grow"), throw in some Gilbert O'Sullivan ("Alone Again (Naturally)"), pile on with England Dan and John Ford Coley ("I'd Really Love to See You Tonight") and then yak up Randy VanWarmer's "Just When I Needed You Most" for good measure.

I apologize to anyone reading this who actually likes these songs, but I don't. I know how they got into my brain in the first place (WOOD AM and WGRD FM in Grand Rapids, the radio stations of my childhood and early adolescense), but I don't understand why they insist on hanging around where they're no longer welcome.

When I was a student at MSU, my brain would sometimes cough up a long-forgotten bit of information when I was studying for an exam, as though it needed to jettison something from the past to make room for whatever I was learning. I had to turn to a dictionary to figure out where "syncline" and "anticline" came from (Mr. Lovett's 9th grade earth science class at West Middle School, as it turns out).

So. A couple of questions: Did my brain cough up moldy songs this week to try to make more room for work information? Or were my earworms just amusing themselves at my expense?

And the BIGGEST question: When the exterminator comes back to our house next week, can he do anything about my earworms? Because I'm not sure next week's going to be any easier. And I know David Soul's "Don't Give Up On Us" is stored in there somewhere...

3 comments:

BD said...

There is no doubt that the songs the earworms dug up are bad. But at least they could not find "Brandy" by Looking Glass or "Escape" by Rupert Holmes or "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies. To paraphrase Marty Feldman in "Young Frankenstein" ... Could be worse, could be "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" by B.J. Thomas.

Kr Cycle said...

Earworms like to feed on anxiety and like to make distractions so your brain has even more to discern. Hence the loop of "It's a Small World Afterall".

Liz H. said...

Have you tried listening to an actual recording of the song that's stuck in your head? Sometimes that gets rid of it.