Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Patty says: Not tonight, dear.

After riding the giddy high of watching Jef qualify for the Boston Marathon Sunday, I crashed with a huge honkin' headache that started Monday and continues as I write.

I'm not generally a hypochondriacI typically can find many things other than my health to obsess over. (Like this: I haven't been able to get Boston's "Don't Look Back" out of my head since shortly after Jef crossed the finish line Sunday. It's not a bad song, but it's not one of my favorites, either. Is it going to stay stuck in my skull until next April? Maybe that's what's giving me a headache.)

I found myself telling Jef last night that I was sure I had some sort of exotic, fast-growing brain tumor that would eventually make the top of my head pop open like some sort of really sick jack-in-the-box and get me featured in both Neurology® and News of the Weird.

Today, though, my headache, while still painfully present, has eased up a bit. Confidence is high that I'll live long enough to see Jef compete in Boston.

This is, I suppose, a really roundabout way to get to my two main points:

1) Jef's in. Online registration for the Boston Marathon filled in a record eight hours, but Jef was one of the 20,000 people who succeeded in registering. (Props to the Boston Athletic Association's IT guys for handling that volume of Web traffic, although I suppose I might feel a bit differently about those IT guys if Jef hadn't been able to register.)

2) I'm keeping it short tonight. I have a headache.

0 comments: